Monday, July 4, 2011

Andrea Doria

Well I finally made it to the Andrea Doria after my third attempt.  Since this report is a few weeks late it is going to be short and sweet with a photo recap.  I got in four great dives, got to tie in on my first dive ever on the doria, found some artifacts and couldn't ask for better sea conditions.  For those of you that do not know here is a little blurb about the shipwreck.

Andrea Doria (Wikipedia)
"SS Andrea Doria was an ocean liner for the Italian Line (Societ√† di navigazione Italia) home ported in Genoa, Italy, most famous for its sinking in 1956, when 46 people died. Named after the 16th-century Genoese admiral Andrea Doria,  Of all Italy's ships at the time, Andrea Doria was the largest, fastest and supposedly safest. Launched on 16 June 1951, the ship undertook its maiden voyage on 14 January 1953.

On 25 July 1956, approaching the coast of Nantucket, Massachusetts, bound for New York City, Andrea Doria collided with the east-bound MS Stockholm of the Swedish American Line in what became one of history's most infamous maritime disasters. Struck in the side, the top-heavy Andrea Doria immediately started to list severely to starboard.  

After all the survivors had been transplanted onto various rescue ships bound for New York, Andrea Doria's remaining crew began to disembark—forced to abandon the ship. By 9:00 AM. even Captain Calamai was in a rescue boat. The sinking began at 9:45 a.m. and by 10:00 that morning Andrea Doria was on her side at a right angle to the sea. The ship fully disappeared into the Atlantic at 10:09—almost exactly eleven hours after the collision with Stockholm took place.
The starboard side dipped into the ocean and the three swimming pools were seen refilling with water. As the bow slid under, the stern rose slightly, and the port propeller and shaft were visible. As the port side slipped below the waves, some of the unused lifeboats snapped free of their davits and floated upside-down in a row. It was recorded that Andrea Doria finally sank 11 hours after the collision, at 10:09 AM on 26 July. The ship had drifted 1.58 nautical miles (2.93 km) from the point of the collision in those 11 hours." (Wikipedia)

Boat Loaded and Read to Go

Using the chase boat to fix the mooring & Sunset after day 1

These are the seas we had the entire trip & Me surfacing after a dive

 My dive buddy to the left & Some goodies I recovered.

Thanks again to everyone for a great trip.  Pictures are by Steve Gatto & last one is by Luis Jimenez.

No comments:

Post a Comment